Sunday 7 November 2010

So sorry it's been so long.......

Why do I always end up saying that every time I post?!

I had hoped to have posted some really nice Autumnal piccies but it almost feels like I have missed Autumn and we are in to Winter!

Out with the Blankies time I guess.....



I hope that you are all well, and starting to think about Christmas I expect, talking of which....have you seen this months edition of Country Homes and Interiors? Well you must, it is just fab!!

We have been tidying around the garden, getting things battened down, covered over, chickens winter proofed.

The last of the apples had to be got down....



Out the ladders came....



(Hmmnn, not a bad view if I say so myself!!)

What we were surprised to come across was this little fella on the floor....



He's smiling at us....bless! Bet he bites!! And that red prong thing sticking out of his back end looks rather painful!



If you happen to know what it is I would be glad to here from you should we come across another!

Next job was to gather the walnuts....

So, up our lane we go....



In the tree they hung looking all lush and green....




Down they fell in their sappy protective coat....



A random one that has managed to shed it's coat and has not been whisked away by Sammy Squirrel....



The gatherings for today....



We went to Kingsbridge to collect a Table, advertised on good old Ebay of course!! But I needed it for my sewing machine, well, thats what I told hubby!

What a view....



Kingsbridge is gorgeous, if I could get my job transfered here I would certainly move, in the Farmers Market it was all warm and friendly, even the Charity Shops were posh!

Note to self....glad they have a large rubber ring at hand given that I can't swim!



Anyhow, look what we bought....



Just incase there are any of you that do like these little fellas, here is a fab recipe....

Mussels in White Wine and Garlic....

•1
Place the mussels in a large colander or strainer in the sink. Rinse the mussels well, taking care to remove any hairy growths on the mussels, sand, and other dirt. You may find it necessary to scrub mussels with a stiff brush to remove debris. Throw out any mussels that are already opened that will not close, as uncooked mussels that stay open before being cooked are a sign of being bad. Mussels are best for cooking still alive, or frozen while still alive.

•2
Mince the garlic for your mussels, and chop the onion. Fresh garlic will absolutely give the best results, but minced garlic out of a jar will also work well. Place both in a large pan with about a Tbs of butter over medium-high heat. Sautee until the onion is mostly translucent, stirring often. Add a few dashes cayenne pepper, or a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes.

•3
Add wine to the pan, and stir well. Chardonnay is a good wine to use for this recipe, as the flavors go well together. While a good vintage wine will certainly give excellent results, any decent white, excluding sweeter wines like Riesling, will work just fine. Let wine mixture heat through for a few minutes to properly incorporate the flavors.

•4
Add mussels to the garlic wine sauce, stir mussels to coat well, and cover to let mussels steam for about 5 minutes. Uncover, and stir mussels again. Repeat this process until the vast majority of your mussels are open. Any cooked mussels that do not open are bad, discard those. You will be cooking mussels for about ten to fifteen minutes total.

•5
To serve your mussels, place mussels shell and all into bowls, or over a bed of pasta. Ladle several spoonfuls of garlic wine sauce over mussels and / or pasta. Garnish mussels with chopped fresh parsley. You can use either appetizer forks or just your fingers to get the mussel meat loose from shells, and a good crusty bread will ensure you don't miss a drop of the fantastic garlic wine sauce.

Well did I have the shock of my life whilst doing a spot of weeding the other day....



Why is it that we are humongous compared to them but they scare us to death? I think that it is the shear shock factor that you do not expect them to be there, starring you in the face, what a beauty he is though! Even though he has got a bit of twiggy/stick stuck to his nose!!

On to other random things....

Strange isn't it, I was standing in the kitchen the other evening cooking our evening meal, come to think of it, this is becoming rather a regular thing, me cooking?! Hmmnn, need to have a re-think about that, anyway I happened to look up, and I thought to myself, well woman, that looks pretty up there! So I thought I would share my views with you too!


What is perched on the top of my freezer....



Whilst having a Ladies that Lunch day on Thursday in Topsham with my mum, I purchased (besides other things which I will show soon!) a new twiggy heart for my staircase, my plan is to have a selection of different twiggy hearts in a selection of sizes and colours winding all of the way up through the stair way, and this photo is just the start, note, I still have not managed to get hubby to actually hang the new heart as of yet, old heart No.1 is still hanging awaiting the presence of heart No.2....watch this space huh!!



Anyway I am afraid that I have to say goodnight now, have to be up early tomorrow, Monday, oh I hate Mondays! Moan, Moan, Moan!

I will be back, I know, I know, I always say I will be back sooner next time and then never do!! But, I will!

Here is a sneak preview of my next topic....

Big Gerbera....



Wow, so much flower power going on here!!....



All will be revealed soon!! Unless you can guess what my post will be about!!

Catch up again in a few days....

Andrea
x

No comments:

Post a Comment